Our plant team is growing! All current available positions are located at the Sow Exotic Nursery in Winter Haven, Florida. Please email your qualifications to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line to apply.
Spring / Summer Nursery Assistant
The Nursery Assistant is responsible for assisting with order fulfillment and day-to-day production, inventory management, and quality control at the Sow Exotic Nursery.
Our ideal Nursery Assistant is passionate about growing rare fruiting and medicinal plants, self-motivated, thrives working outdoors, is hard-working, and will seize any opportunity to make a positive impact. This is a part-time, hourly position, with the potential to grow into full-time.
- Monday - Wednesday
- 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Hours can be flexible for the right candidates. Hours may increase seasonally.
Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the fulfillment team and other nursery assistants to prepare plants for shipment with speed and accuracy. This includes pulling, re-potting, pruning, and organizing plants for shipment with speed and accuracy.
- Work outdoors in a warm greenhouse environment and in occasional inclement Florida weather (hot, rainy, cold)
- Must be able to quickly learn to identify a diverse collection of edible plants in our greenhouses
- Perform repetitive movements and tasks which include but are not limited to squatting, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, standing, walking and lifting over the shoulder. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs comfortably.
- Maintain excellent plant quality and greenhouse organization
- Assist with the day-to-day management of greenhouse (inventory, quality)
- Plant, propagate (seed, cutting, air-layer) grow, water, transplant, weed, pest control, prune and generally care for the plants with high degree of efficiency
- Unload delivery trucks, receive and stow incoming inventory ensuring accuracy
- Use cloud based inventory software when necessary
- Work proficiently and collaboratively with fulfillment team, owners, and nursery volunteers to balance duties as needed, at or above the rate expectation for each task
- Perform additional related duties as needed.
Requirements for all Sow Exotic Team Members
- Contribute to building positive team spirit
- Support everyone’s efforts to succeed
- Constantly look for ways to improve and promote quality
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness in all responsibilities
- Follow instructions accurately and efficiently
- Respond appropriately to management directions
- Take responsibility for own actions and keep commitments
- Maintain a healthy enjoyable work environment
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Ability to Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully and can develop alternative solutions
- Must work well in group problem solving situations exhibiting objectivity and openness to others' views as well as giving and welcome feedback
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and team members